About Nelson and Colne College
"A highly successful institution"
Michael Gove, Secretary of State for Education
Why study at Nelson and Colne College Sixth Form?
Nelson and Colne College Sixth Form has been judged as 'Outstanding' in two full inspections since 2005 and was awarded Beacon College status in 2006 - an award offered to the best colleges in the country, highlighting excellence, innovation and exceptional teaching and learning. In 2014 latest Government data, performance tables released by the Department for Education (covering 317 colleges, sixth forms and sixth form centres), showed that the College is:
- 1st in the country for A Level Value Added scores
These measure the distance between a student’s eventual A Level grades compared to the results they were predicted based on their GCSEs
- The 3rd highest performing college in the country for young Apprenticeship success (16-18 year old)
- The 4th highest performing college in the country for A Level grades
- BEST in the area for A Level grades
This includes all grammar schools, school sixth forms, sixth form centres and colleges in Pendle, Burnley, Accrington and the Ribble Valley
- BEST in the area for Vocational grades
Below are some key facts about the College, which will illustrate why we are considered to be one of the top colleges in Lancashire.
- 100% A Level pass rate in 2014; continued rise in A* grades.
- 100% Vocational pass rate in 2014.
- LSIS Beacon College status since 2006, confirming Nelson and Colne as one of the country’s best colleges
- Long-standing reputation for academic excellence: confirmed as Outstanding by Ofsted in 2005 and 2008
- Nelson and Colne College has been awarded STEM Assured® status by the New Engineering Foundation (NEF). The standard recognises excellence in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) provision within the Further Education sector, with a particular focus on industry relevance and embedding STEM skills across a range of learning areas.
- State-of-the-art campus with a recent investment of £21m
- Highly successful academic and vocational sixth form provision for approximately 1500 young people
- Excellent extra-curricular programme for sixth form students including the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, sports academies and volunteering opportunities
- Unique Pre-Professional programmes developed to support students pursuing professional careers such as Medicine, Veterinary Science, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Law, Journalism and Teaching
- Over 300 students progress to a wide range of universities each year including high numbers progressing to Oxford, Cambridge and Russell Group universities
- Outstanding Apprenticeship provision with success rates well above the Lancashire and national rates
- Tailor-made employer provision including 14 individual Apprenticeship frameworks to meet the needs of local and regional employees
- Outstanding professional development, skills development and fresh start programmes for adult learners, leading to improved employment prospects and higher level study
- One of the largest employers in the area with approximately 470 employees