About Nelson and Colne College
"A highly successful institution"
Michael Gove, Secretary of State for Education
Why study at Nelson and Colne College Sixth Form?
Nelson and Colne College Sixth Form has been judged as 'Outstanding' in two full inspections since 2005 and was awarded Beacon College status in 2006 - an award offered to the best colleges in the country, highlighting excellence, innovation and exceptional teaching and learning. Below are some key facts about the College, which will illustrate why we are considered to be one of the top colleges in Lancashire.
- LSIS Beacon College status since 2006, confirming Nelson and Colne as one of the country’s best colleges
- Long-standing reputation for academic excellence: confirmed as Outstanding by Ofsted in 2005 and 2008
- Nelson and Colne College has been awarded STEM Assured® status by the New Engineering Foundation (NEF). The standard recognises excellence in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) provision within the Further Education sector, with a particular focus on industry relevance and embedding STEM skills across a range of learning areas.
- State-of-the-art campus with a recent investment of £21m
- Highly successful academic and vocational sixth form provision for approximately 1500 young people
- Excellent extra-curricular programme for sixth form students including the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, sports academies and volunteering opportunities
- Unique Pre-Professional programmes developed to support students pursuing professional careers such as Medicine, Veterinary Science, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Law, Journalism and Teaching
- Over 300 students progress to a wide range of universities each year including high numbers progressing to Oxford, Cambridge and Russell Group universities
- Outstanding Apprenticeship provision with success rates well above the Lancashire and national rates
- Tailor-made employer provision including 14 individual Apprenticeship frameworks to meet the needs of local and regional employees
- Outstanding professional development, skills development and fresh start programmes for adult learners, leading to improved employment prospects and higher level study
- One of the largest employers in the area with approximately 470 employees