|Entry Requirements:||Two Bs and three Cs in five subject areas at GCSE to include a minimum of a grade 4 in Maths and English Language. However, due to the new GCSE grading, we do recommend that you are working towards at least a grade 5 in both Maths and English Language.||Start Date:||Sept 2017|
Business is a dynamic and relevant subject which will show you how businesses approach marketing and PR, finance, production, personnel management and strategic decision making. You will look at how factors in the outside world affect business and society.
Our aim is to study all the major aspects of the corporate world and the significant factors which influence business performance and success. This is not a dry factual study, we concern ourselves with how real businesses are making decisions today.
You will study business in a variety of context including large and small businesses, UK focused and global businesses. You will consider:
• The importance of the context of business in relation to decision making
• The interrelated nature of business activities and how they affect competitiveness
• The competitive environment and the markets in which businesses operate
• The influences on functional decisions and plans including ethical and environmental issues
• The factors that might determine whether a decision is successful e.g. the quality of data and the degree of uncertainty
• How technology is changing the way decisions are made and how businesses operate and compete
• The impact on stakeholders of functional decisions and their response to such decisions
• Use of non-quantitative and quantitative data in decision making (including the interpretation of index numbers and calculations such as ratios and percentages).
You will be assessed by three external written examinations, which equates to a third of your overall A Level grade.
You will be offered a range of enrichment activities if you choose to study Business at A Level such as a residential trip to Europe. Details of the cost of this will be provided before booking.
Former students have progressed on to some of the UK’s top universities, including the University of Manchester, the University of Reading, the University of Liverpool and Lancaster University. They are reading challenging and interesting degree programmes including Fashion and Textile Retailing, Mathematics and Economics, Business Management, Accounting and Finances, Law with Business Studies, International Business, Marketing, International Relations and Law.
Alternatively, after completing your studies, you may also be interested in applying for one of our Apprenticeships with some of the region’s best businesses. We offer Apprenticeships in Business Administration, Retail, Customer Service, Call Centre Operations, Accounting and Marketing.