|BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design|
|Entry Requirements:||5 GCSEs at grade 4/C or above including either Maths or English, or a Level 2 equivalent in this area and GCSE Maths or English at grade 4/C or above, plus a satisfactory portfolio.|
|Start Date:||Sept 18|
This exciting and challenging programme is designed to allow you the opportunity to build the practical skills and abilities you will need for a successful ongoing career in the world of art and design. Focused on developing your practical skills and abilities, the course offers you the chance to learn a broad range of art and design processes, with the opportunity to specialise in your second year and tailor your qualification to suit your own strengths and interests.
What will I learn?
A wide range of practical art processes and techniques across the photography, textiles, graphic design and fine art specialisms
• How to build effective sketchbooks to document your working practices and showcase your final pieces
• How to effectively explore and develop ideas and concepts within your work and that of others
• The basics of contextual and historical studies, used to explore a wide range of art and design works from a range of time-periods, cultures and practitioners
• Advanced technical skills such as life drawing, darkroom photography, machine embroidery and digital image manipulation
• How to progress a career in art and design through careful guidance and supportive exploration
• Key skills for working and progressing within the art and design world including portfolio building, mock interviews and guidance through application to HE or employment
How will the course be assessed?
All your work will be assessed through the completion of assignments, marked by your tutors here in college. The type and content of these assignments will vary, depending on the particular units that are being assessed. You work will be graded against Pass, Merit and Distinction criteria. Your assignments will always carefully guide you to the requirements of each criteria and your tutors will support you in gaining the very best achievement that you can.
At NCC we’re committed to ensuring that your studies are career focused and are linked to your future goals. Develop a new skill, learn how to be a leader, volunteer for a good cause and keep fit through sport. Enhance your learning and make the most of the array of activities on offer to help you stand out from the crowd when applying for university, an Apprenticeship or a job.
Materials and other information
You will present all your final year work to VIPs and industry professionals in a fabulous End of Year Show. You will also be invited to meet with professionals in creative industries to explore different job roles. Students are asked to pay a consumable fee that will provide them with various art materials and trips on the course. Costs will be confirmed at interview / enrolment. Trips and visits include The Liverpool Tate and Walker Gallery, Manchester Art Galleries, The Stitch and Knit show in Harrogate, Media Museum and Impressions Gallery in Bradford, Harry Potter Studios in London, and a residential visit to London.
Progression and Careers
Completion of this course means you can choose to progress onto university, to our Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, or into emplopyment in an art or design-related industry, potentially through an advanced Apprenticeship.