|Level 2 Pre-Apprenticeship in Engineering|
|Entry Requirements:||4 GCSEs at grade 3/D or above including Maths and Science, or a Level 1 equivalent in this area and GCSE Maths and Science at grades 3/D or above.|
|Start Date:||Sept 2018|
This course is part of the NCC Ambitions Programme – a unique programme for Level 2 students, which will support you in developing key personal skills such as communication, confidence, resilience, employability and presentation skills.
Engineering is the backbone of British Industry and is a rapidly growing sector. Engineers build our roads and bridges, make aeroplanes fly and create innovative solutions to many problems.
This programme will enable you to develop your employability skills while building your industry knowledge. The programme includes links with employers, interview opportunities, guest lectures and much more.
What will I learn?
Working safely in an engineering environment
• Carrying out engineering activities efficiently and effectively
• Using and communicating technical information
• Producing components using hand fitting techniques
• Preparing and using lathes for turning operations
• General fabrication and welding applications
• Producing CAD models using a CAD system
• CNC programming / machining
It provides learners with:
• Critical knowledge for employment in an industrial environment
• A recognition of knowledge
• Understanding of safety practices
• Support in personal development
• A route to achieving trained operator or semi-skilled status in manufacturing
• The knowledge and understanding to support the apprenticeship in improving operational performance
How will the course be assessed?
You will be assessed by a portfolio of evidence, verbal questioning, witness testimony, knowledge and understanding. There is still a need for learner support and tutorial-style activities to support delivery.
At NCC we’re committed to ensuring that your studies are career focused and are linked to your future goals. Develop a new skill, learn how to be a leader, volunteer for a good cause and keep fit through sport. Enhance your learning and make the most of the array of activities on offer to help you stand out from the crowd when applying for university, an Apprenticeship or a job.
Materials and other information
Students are required to purchase a uniform and Engineering kit. The kit includes polo tops with College logo, workshop overall, safety boots, safety glasses, scientific calculator and Engineering drawing equipment. All of these can be purchased through the Engineering department at the College.
Progression and Careers
Students on this programme may progress onto an Apprenticeship during the year they gain employment in the industry, and it is therefore an excellent choice for anyone considering a career in engineering.