13:00 to 15:00
6 week course
10:00 to 12:00
6 week course
Do you have an interest in gardening or have you caught the gardening bug during lockdown? This course is aimed at beginners or novice gardeners and covers basic horticulture skills that are important for successful gardening. The course is taught by our expert Horticulture teachers who are also professional gardeners, sharing decades of experience between them. During the course, you will learn the foundations of horticulture alongside some top tips for successful gardening.
The award is delivered as 2-hour sessions per week over a 3-week period, with the option of extending to the Certificate for a further 4 weeks depending on your personal goals and interests.
What will I learn?
The primary aim of this qualification is to prepare you for further learning and/or develop knowledge and/or skills in horticulture. This qualification aims to give you the skills and knowledge needed to participate in horticulture activities confidently and safely and with the appropriate level of skills and knowledge.
You will need to complete a mandatory unit ‘Recognise Plants’, which will provide you with knowledge about different types of plants and how to recognise them.
You will then complete a range of generic optional units. Examples of these include:
• Control Weeds in a Planted Area
• Prepare and Plant an Area
• Sustainability and our Environment
• Recognise, Use and Care for Tools Used in Horticulture
• Health and Safety Awareness
How will the course be assessed?
All learning will be completed through Zoom and learners will complete the course by independently working through a variety of assessment tasks, including:
• Video tutorials
• Reflecting on their own learning and experience
• Participating in discussion forums
• Completing practical tasks
Materials and other information
Learners will need:
• Access to a garden, green space, allotment or outdoor area.
• Access to a small range of gardening tools, containers, compost, labels, pencil and watering equipment although this is not necessary as some of this can be provided.
The Additional Learning Support Teams work across college supporting students with a variety of learning needs in different ways. Support can be requested at enrolment or at any point throughout your course. For more information telephone 0333 0031717 or email. firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on booking onto a course, telephone 0333 0031717
It would be useful to have a pen and paper so you can make notes throughout the course.
Progression and Careers
• Completion of initial assessment tasks at the start of the course will enable learners to review their knowledge of the course content. At the end of the course learners will review their knowledge again to assess progress.
• Learners will also be supported to set an individual target(s) for the course based on personal goals and aspirations.
• Learners will receive feedback and information about further learning opportunities to develop their knowledge and skills.