07:00 to 09:30
38 week course
09:00 to 11:00
11 week course
"This accredited online course has been designed for those who work in a care environment with older adults that need to increase their daily physical activity in a safe and effective way.
The course has been created so learners can complete the content flexibly, at their own pace and at a time that fits around work and home commitments.
During the course, learners will gain new skills and knowledge in order to be able to safely plan and facilitate exercise with older adults. Knowing and understanding the risks, hazards and benefits of exercise will enable learners to devise a safe, appropriate, exercise plan with progression for older adults to follow with guidance or independently.
This new knowledge will not only support learners within their job role but it will also boost career and employability prospects.
The course content is designed to take around 25 hours to complete and learners will receive support to complete the course where necessary."
What will I learn?
"At the end of the course, learners will be able to:
1. Discuss and explain the benefits and impact of physical activity with older adults
2. Know how to overcome barriers to exercise that may affect goal achievement
3. Review the types of exercise and the components of physical fitness and how they are appropriate for older adults
4. Asses an individual’s physical fitness level to ensure correct exercise selection from resources
5. Recognise the safety considerations, hazards and risks for exercise with older adults
6. Respond appropriately to a given simulated emergency situation
7. Plan and review a fitness programme with progressions over a period of time
8. Understand your responsibilities
9. Establish future learning and progression where appropriate
The course also contains two accredited units from Open Awards which are:
• Planning a fitness programme - Level 1
• Risks and hazards in active sports and leisure - Level 1
These units are blended into the core content of the course and learners will create evidence for the unit criteria by completing tasks and practical activities on Moodle (VLE – Virtual Learning Environment.) Certification for these units will be provided upon successful completion of the course.
How will the course be assessed?
"All learning will be completed through Moodle (VLE – Virtual Learning Environment) and learners will complete the course by independently working through a variety of assessment tasks, including:
• Videos tutorials
• Reflecting on their own learning and experience
• Participating in discussion forums
• Video submissions of exercise
Progression and Careers
"• Completion of initial assessment task at the start of the course will enable learners to review their knowledge of the course content. At the end of the course learners will review their knowledge again to assess progress.
• Learners will also be supported to set an individual target(s) for the course based on personal goals and aspirations.
• An activity completion bar will be present on Moodle throughout your course so you can view the progress you are making
• Learners will receive feedback and information about further learning opportunities to develop their knowledge and skills.
• You will receive feedback on your assignments from your teacher