|Foundation Degree in Early Years|
|Mode:||Full / Part Time Delivered at Nelson and Colne College, UCAS CODE: FEY1|
|Start Date:||September 2019|
|In partnership with:||University of Cumbria (https://www.cumbria.ac.uk/)|
|Time:||9am - 9pm (FT) / 9am - 2:30pm (PT) / 2:30pm - 9pm (PT) / Other options may be available|
|Duration:||2 years full-time, 3-4 years part-time|
|Cost:||£6,000 per year Full Time, £3,000 per year Part Time|
This programme is designed for those who wish to, or those already, working or volunteering in an Early Years setting, who want to progress their career within the sector.
This programme will be available on a full-time basis over two years or a part-time basis over three or four years. Full-time students will attend one day and one evening per week in College. For the September 2019 intake this is expected to be Wednesday day and evening each week. In addition to the time in College, students will undertake a teaching and learning placement of 200 hours per academic year alongside their academic studies. Part-time study can be flexible. Students would attend an agreed selection of the classes attended by full-time students and be allowed to spread their studies and placements over three or four years.
What will I learn?
Modules will normally include:
• Professional Studies, Work-based Contexts and Safeguarding
• Child Development and Learning Through Play
• Using Information and Communication Technology to Support Learning
• Inclusive Educational Environments
• Health and Wellbeing in Early Childhood
• Early Years Foundation Stage 1
• Professional Studies and Work-based Contexts 2, with Leading and Supervising in Early Years Provision
• Understanding Behaviour in Teaching and Learning
• Working with Families and Other Professional Practitioners
• Introduction to Current Issues in Education
• Practice-based Research Project
• Early Years Foundation Stage 2
How will the course be assessed?
Assessments take place in the form of reports, presentations, essays, case studies and logs/journals as appropriate.
Successful completion could lead to employment at a Higher Level and/or management. This programme could also lead to a qualified teacher status in Primary Education
with further study. For those students wanting to top-up this qualification, the programme has been designed to facilitate post qualification progression to Level 6 of the University of Cumbria BA (Hons) Teaching and Learning qualification.