|Entry Requirements:||To take three A Levels you will need at least five GCSEs at Grade 5 or above in a good range of subjects, including both English and Mathematics, plus a successful, informal interview at College. If you don’t quite achieve these entry criteria though don’t worry, we can discuss your options. Additional entry requirements include: Mathematics at Grade 5 or above from the higher tier paper.|
|Start Date:||Sep 2023|
In A Level Computer Science, you will learn to become an effective designer and implementer of computer solutions - learning to programme in a number of languages including C#, SQL and Haskell.
The creativity of the practical work is supported by theory so you gain a thorough understanding of the underlying principles. We develop this theoretical background so that you will have a deeper understanding of many aspects including, for example, algorithmic efficiency, internet security and object orientated programming.
What will I learn?
• Study a wide variety of computing principles including fundamentals of programming, data structures, algorithms, data representation, computer systems, computer organisation and architecture, communication and networking, functional programming, databases, big data and theory of computation.
• In addition to the theory work, you will complete a substantial practical project solving a realistic problem or carrying out an investigation of your choice.
• While writing code is important, there is more to being a computer scientist. This includes considering issues such as coding efficiency and speed of execution, as well as having confidence that the code is correct. You will cover all these aspects and appreciate the difference between writing code and the bigger issues faced by computer scientists.
How will the course be assessed?
• You will be assessed by external examinations at the end of the course. In addition to this, all students complete a piece of project work that accounts for 20% of the overall grade. The project is a great opportunity to develop your skills in a relevant area of your choice.
• You will benefit from a high-specification computer lab, free software, robotics, and other hardware for experimentation.
Materials and other information
• A unique Pre-Professional Programme is available in Computer Science that you take alongside your studies, giving you the core skills required for university and employment and a head start in your desired field.
• We are an Ofsted ‘Outstanding’ College.
• Our students love being learners here and feel supported throughout their course, which enables them to thrive and succeed.
• Most of our students progress to study computer science and related subjects at university. However, there are an increasing amount of degree apprenticeship opportunities that also provide natural progression beyond this A Level.