|Entry Requirements:||To take three A Levels you will need at least five GCSEs at Grade 5 or above in a good range of subjects, including both English and Mathematics, plus a successful, informal interview at College. If you don’t quite achieve these entry criteria though don’t worry, we can discuss your options.|
|Start Date:||Sep 2023|
Are you interested in a career as a detective, crime scene investigator or in the criminal justice system? Perhaps you are just fascinated by true crime, what determines who or what is criminal and how we explain why people commit crime? This course is suitable for anyone who is intrigued by these questions and wants to learn more about criminological theories and the justice system.
Throughout this course, you will gain an understanding of psychological theories of criminality. You will also analyse true-crime case studies in order to see the real-world implications of these theories. All whilst gaining a qualification that can unlock doors to a number of interesting career paths.
What will I learn?
• Explore how criminality is defined over time and between cultures.
• Study psychological and sociological theories of why crime happens and apply them to real-life scenarios.
• Look at how the media represents criminals and campaigns to elicit change and their impact on public perceptions of crime.
• Track criminal processes from the crime scene to the courtroom, examining the factors which influence the fate of criminal suspects.
• Look at the personnel involved in criminal investigations and the techniques that are used, including offender profiling and surveillance.
• Study the criminal justice system and evaluate the aims of using different forms of punishment to tackle crime.
How will the course be assessed?
Over the 2 years, you will be assessed via examinations.
You will study in modern classrooms with interactive learning technology and will have access to up-to-date resources.
Materials and other information
• We are an Ofsted ‘Outstanding’ College.
• Our students love being learners here and feel supported throughout their course, which enables them to thrive and succeed.
• We have teachers who are experts in their fields, they provide our students with excellent knowledge and create positive and encouraging learning environments.