13 week course
During this free course you will have the opportunity to explore how children in the Early Years Foundation Stage and reception year are taught maths and early number skills, so that you are better equipped to support your children with their learning at home. It will also help you to refresh and improve your own maths skills and knowledge.
How long is the course?
1 session of approximately 2.5 hrs with the opportunity to further your knowledge through self-directed research
What will I learn?
Through a gentle introduction to maths you will look at how schools teach children and the ways in which children learn. You will look at the importance of play and active learning, and how to encourage children to develop their maths skills through play and activities.
At the end of the course you will be able to:
· Recognise key principles of how maths is taught in schools
· Identify at least 3 number bonds and explain their importance in developing maths skills
· Explain what a number line is and demonstrate how to use it.
· Identify 3 ways to support your child’s maths learning at home.
· Be aware of further learning opportunities.
How will the course be assessed?
· This course will be delivered via our online learning site, ‘Moodle’. You will study from the comfort of your own home, at a day and time that suits you.
· Once you have enrolled you will be sent information on how to get started on Moodle.
· Throughout the course there will be an opportunity to speak to one of our tutors and there will be also be ‘live’ chats available to those who wish to participate.
· Your tutor will be on hand throughout the course to offer you support, feedback and guidance.
· For this course, you will ideally have an email address and access to the internet via either a Smart phone, tablet or computer. You will need to be able to understand how to follow URL links to pages on the internet.
· No skills or experience of the topic of Primary School maths curriculum is required
Materials and other information
The Additional Learning Support Team work across college supporting students with a variety of learning needs in different ways. Support can be requested at enrolment or at any point throughout your course. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
Progression and Careers
During the course, you will have the opportunity to discuss your progress with the teacher and feedback will be provided. You will also be encouraged to provide course feedback to your teacher, and take part in end of course evaluation.