6 week course
The purpose of this programme is to help you expand your knowledge and understanding in addition to your Level 1/ Level 2 course in working within Children and Young People within Childcare or Education Sectors. The course will focus on a range of conditions young people experience in the educational settings you are looking to progress your employment in. Subjects protected by legislation such as safeguarding, equality and diversity and health & safety are also included to give you an understanding of your responsibilities along with an understanding of controlling the spread of infection, which is particularly important in the current climate.
How long is the course?
Approx. 3-5 hours per week of learning over 6 weeks.
What will I learn?
The Workplace Essentials Programme consists 2 mandatory units and 4 optional units to help you gain knowledge and understanding within the following areas:
• Extended Award in Employability Skills Level 1- Online Assessments via Microsoft Teams
o Equality and Diversity at Work
o Health and Safety in the Workplace
o How to be Successful
The following Units are for you to demonstrate your own knowledge and understanding:
• Introduction to Protection and Safeguarding Level 1
• Introduction to Learning Disabilities Level 1
• Introduction to Autistic Spectrum Condition Level 1
• Understanding Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder –ADHD Level 2
• Infection Prevention and Control in HSC and CYP Settings Level 2
How will the course be assessed?
Learners complete via the online platform over a set period of time from enrolment. Learners will be given access to Moodle (VLE – Virtual Learning Environment) assess for learning materials so activities and assessment can be completed to show knowledge and understanding.
During the course they will be learning in a variety of ways:
• Regular live online sessions
• Presentation with voice over
• Case studies
• Questioning via multiple choice and short questions
• Additional resources and links to useful websites
• Direct links to each course within the Workplace Essentials Page
Materials and other information
Once enrolled onto the course via LAL enrolment, you will be contacted by your tutor with log in details of how to access your course.
It would be useful to have a pen and paper so learners can make notes throughout the course.
Progression and Careers
• You will be able to view progress bars which change colour as progression is made through the units.
• Learners will receive feedback in order to further develop their knowledge
• Learners will assess their knowledge at the start of the course and again at the end against the learning outcomes. This allows them to identify how much they have learnt and where they might need to do further study or research.
• Learners will also be supported to set an individual target(s) for the course based on personal goals and aspirations.