What is a HNC/D?

A Higher National Certificate/Diploma is a career-related course, available across a
number of subject areas. Generally, a HNC is the equivalent of one year at University,
while a HND is the same as two. The difference is you won’t have the expense of
University, and you can study locally!

What are the benefits of doing an undergraduate qualification?

Not only can an HNC/D help you climb the career ladder quicker and improve
your job prospects, it is a well cited statistic that graduates can expect to earn
£100,000+ more over their lifetimes than someone who didn’t go to university.

Is funding available?

Yes! HE Loans are available. To apply for a HE Loan, please visit

Is there an opportunity for me to take on a qualification flexibly?

At NCC we offer flexible learning for our HNC/D students, meaning you can still gain
a nationally recognised higher level qualification, while maintaining other work and
personal commitments. You may be able to study from the comforts of your home,
with full support from expert tutors. Students in work may also be able to do the HNC
as part of a higher Apprenticeship, at no cost to themselves.

What qualifications/skills are needed to start an HNC/D?

Prior qualifications are not always necessary for candidates with relevant experience.
Come and speak to a member of the NCC team at our Open Event on 8th December
to find out more. At the event there will also be the opportunity for you to discover
your skills profile.

Can you still do a HNC/D if you have started University?

Don’t worry if you have already completed a term at University and changed your
mind, you can still start on a HNC/D programme as we have flexible entry points and
start dates.

Open Menu