|BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Public Services (Uniformed)|
|Entry Requirements:||5 GCSEs at grade C or above including Maths and English|
|Start Date:||Sept 2017|
You will gain many key skills essential for a successful Public Services career. You will practise and develop your teamwork skills and learn how to lead others effectively. You will be expected to participate in runs and fitness sessions and progress to instructing others in these areas. You will develop specific subject knowledge for the emergency services and improve your personal qualities to help make you more employable. You will also develop navigation and organisational skills leading to multi day expeditions. You will investigate the work of the Public Services and take part in many challenging visits.
What will I learn?
- Government policies and the public services
- Leadership and teamwork in the public services
- Citizenship diversity and the public services
- Outdoor adventurous expeditions
- Skills for land based outdoor adventure activities
- Land navigation by map and compass
- Physical preparation, health and lifestyle for the public services
- Planning to major incidents
- Understanding discipline in the uniformed public services
- Fitness testing and training for the uniformed public services
- Instructing physical activity and exercise
- Crime and its effects on society
- Understanding the impact of war, conflict and terrorism on public services
- Aspects of the legal system and law making process
- Command and control in the uniformed public services
- International institutions
- Responding to major incident
- Communication and technology
How will the course be assessed?
The units will be assessed using a variety of different methods including written assignments, PowerPoint presentations, group work, practical activities and competency based assessments.
The College actively promotes careers in the uniformed public services and trips and visits are a mandatory part of this course.
You will have access to outstanding facilities including a six court sports hall with a heated, sprung floor, a state-of-the-art gymnasium with specialist equipment, and a brand new 3G sports pitch and multi use games area. Our Pendle location also places us centrally for many outdoor activity centres and ideal hiking and climbing locations for orienteering and map work.
Materials and other information
There is a uniform which comprises of a training top and jacket. Students should also have access to walking boots and waterproof jackets.
Progression and Careers
Options after completing the course are varied. Some students go on to universities such as Manchester Metropolitan University, the University of Central Lancashire, the University of Sheffield, Liverpool John Moores University and the University of West Scotland, studying a variety of degree programmes including Law and Criminology, Policing, Outdoor Education and Coaching and Fire and Rescue.
Many students go on to secure jobs in the Public Services, including the Fire Service, the Police, the Army, Royal Marines and Royal Air Force.
Meet Thomas Eyre
Thomas achieved a Triple Distinction* in a BTEC Extended Diploma in Public Services. After leaving College he began studying Criminology at Leeds University.